Saturday, March 04, 2006

Time for a new plexiglass piece...

I haven't made a really nice new plexiglass piece for quite a while. The last one can be seen in my posting form 12/11/05 (the spiral piece). I did a series of experiments, varying style of dots and strokes, and -- more importantly -- the kind of paints used. Finally I decided to put all that I've learnt in these experiments together in a new piece. It's a variant of the "flowers" painting I did on oil late last year (see blog entry "silver lining" from 12/28/05).

The current piece is not completely finished yet, but mostly. This time I decided to take a few photos while painting so we have can watch the painting evolve as I add the various colors. This piece is painted on both sides of the plexiglas. The actual subject matter (flower, vase) is on one side and the background on the other. Also the flower is mostly done in warm colors whereas the background is in cool colors that tend to recede. This creates an even stronger sense of depth in the painting and the effect works quite nicely.




I used only round dots on this one (not like the spirals one which played a lot with stroke direction). Also I used only transparent paints where the earlier pieces typically used a combination of transparent and opaque paints.

Below is the current state. There will probably be a few minor changes, but it's mostly done. The last photo shows what a piece like this looks like when it's seen in ideal lighting conditions (with sunlight streaming through it).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home