Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bottles!

Today we continued our exploration of still lives by introducing transparency. The goal was to paint a nice, realistic looking bottle. I tried to be ambitious and went for two. I didn't have such a great day though and the result is - well - soso. It's not completely horrible, but it's not really good either. Everybody has an off day every now and then. If I have the time I might go in and fix the piece, but then, I might just make a new one.

Don Feasel did a splendid demo again at the beginning and he just created a very realistic bottle in almost no time. It was a joy watching him work on that thing...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love the colors in this, and you told me it was Viridian mixed with something, but I forget what it was.

I really wish I could be in his class to watch Don paint.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Andreas said...

The green is a mixture of viridian (Thalo-green) and raw umber. Because thalo colors are so intense you can mix a fairly large amount of that brown into the paint and it still stays the characteristic bottle green. And if you mix in some titanium white you get these cool glass tones you see on the highlights of that piece. (well, actually, it's a mixture of titanium and zinc white according to the tube for some reason that tube of "titanium white" contains some zinc white. Now I almost want to check if their zinc white also contains some titanium white ;) )

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home