Sunday, May 14, 2006

A bit more colorful again...

Now that all the pieces for the show in June are put together I can play a bit more with colors again (the show will focus on earth tones). But I do like intense color as well so it was time to play a bit in that space for a change. I made two pieces and one of them is actually quite interesting (see picture).

Other news... I went to Silicon Valley Open studios today (this was the 2nd weekend out of three, so if you don't know about this, you should check out this site ) I saw a lot of very nice artwork, some soso stuff too, of course, but a lot of that depends on one's taste too. The neatest thing I saw was a place called the Alameda Art Works, a large building that used to house an ice rink. Now it's converted in lots of little studio spaces. I saw a lot of cool work there but was most excited about the studio space I have to admit. I wish I could find something like that for myself - only closer to where I live!! And the rent was very reasonable as well!

I realize more and more that I do indeed need to find a better work situation for my art work. It's just unacceptable that I still do everything inside my apartment. Especially as I make my own paints (I'm working with dry pigments - not healthy when you do that in your living room, even with a dust mask and when you are very careful). So that really will be my goal for the next few months: a better living situation (I can find a much smaller apartment when my studio space is elsewhere) and a real art-workspace! I also don't want to have dinner with my drying oil paintings any more. Meaning. I would like to have dinner without the smell of fresh oil paint overpowering the smell of my food.

The goal is to have this (affordable) work space in reasonable distance from either work or home. Or somewhere in the middle? An alterntive is to find a living situation where it is together in two separated units but I don't know if I can afford going the house-buying route. We'll see. As I said, if you have suggestions, let me hear them...

2 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I like the colours, and the picture has something dynamic.
(like the artist).
About looking for space to work: if you find a solution, tell me, I have the same problem :-)
But I like to have to just turn around and continue painting, rather than having to drive through town to another place.
Keep it up!

5:37 AM  
Blogger Andreas said...

I fear there is no perfect solution, except if you have unlimited funds :) Otherwise... good studio spaces are often not in the perfect place to live. And if you would like to find a space where there are lots of other artists around - like an artist cooperative, that might not be right next to a big park where you can go running, but maybe in a warehouse or former industrial area, which again may not be such a great place to live. Hard to find the perfect combination.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home