Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summer heat...

Goodness! It has been almost 3 weeks since the last posting. My only excuse is that I'm suffering from the summer heat: my place is a true scorcher. I think the thermometer is broken because it was hot, but I don't think that my balcony really had 110 deg F in the shade. But it sure was hot. And it was hotter indoors. Not a good time to get a lot of art done, but I still managed a little bit over the last few weeks. From all I hear it's very common that printing studios take time off in the summer because it seems almost all printing studios are really hot in the summer. My place is no exception. I still managed to finish a decent print, though, and here it is. It's appropriatedly named "Summer Heat". Originally I was thinking of forest fire or something along the lines, but considering how I burnt up while working on it...

"Summer heat" - 3 color wood cut on hand-made recycling paper, 8" x 6". I found this gorgeous, very heavy, recycled paper at Flax in San Francisco and decided to use that paper for this print. Partly because I was curious how it would work (it worked splendidly) and partly because I wanted to make a statement about recycling, the environment etc etc. Yes, this print may be not as archivally stable as one printed on super-duper high end printing paper, but it's worth trying to be environmentally conscious as an artist. At least when it's possible!

The other print shows a couple of prints from a varied edition of greeting cards I also made recently. No major artistic achivement, but they were fun to make. A while back I decided work on small prints like this one every now and then -- just for fun -- and send them to friends and use them as greeting cards. It motivates me to practice more lino/wood cutting and people who got those cards so far seemed to enjoy them. So there we go. Printed on colored (acid free/supposedly archival) card stock I picked up in a discount place a few months ago...

Oh, and there is news too. The monotype that I had at the ICA monotype marathon was sold! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Andreas--It's not even that hot here in Georgia! Tho it's plenty hot and walking across campus not pleasant at all. Glad to see your new work.

--Carole

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home