Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Different Spin 3

Over the course of the printing class I mentioned several times that "I'm working on this very labor-intensive 4-color lithography" but I have never actually shown it on the blog. The reason was that I'm still catching up making good photos of many pieces from the past few months, including this print.

It's called "A different spin 3" because it is part of a series. The first two prints in the series are linocuts from last year and I blogged about both of them: Different Spin, Different Spin II

This one is a 4-color lithograph and the principle is the same again: Print the same plate 4 times with a 90deg rotation, use transparent color. The principle is simple, but making a good print out of it is not. There is a lot of potential to just create a big chaotic mess, and this third one is actually pushing the limits, I fear, because it is very busy - especially with the colors I chose. That's also the reason why the last color was not another yellow or red (as originally planned) but a greenish gray, to tone the whole thing down. And that actually worked pretty well, I think.

I'm still undecided what the "right" orientation of the print is supposed to be. Currently I lean towards hanging it just as shown on the blog, with the gray at the bottom to "ground" the piece. But other orientations work well too. Feel free to leave comments on the blog with your own preferences and suggestions :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home