Saturday, October 07, 2006

New plexiglass experiments

I haven't painted on acrylic glass (plexiglass) in several month (see this post from half a year ago) and it was time to return to that medium for a some experiments. I always loved the warm radiance you get from these pieces when they sit in sunlight (which might be one of the reasons I'm also so addicted to glass work lately). Of course you don't always have sunlight... but nothing is perfect in this world, rigth? ;)

The idea to take several pieces on plexiglass and mount them behind each other is not entirely new, of course. There were Op-art artists in the 60s or 70s who experimented with that concept already. And just very recently I saw a very similar idea at a show at the ICA where somebody (forgot her name now) mounted transparencies of photos behind each other to create a multi-layered narrative. Also a very interesting idea, but I'm more attracted to actually painting on the plexi, in particular because the photo transparencies tend to take away so much of the light (which is something that probably could be fixed with some tinkering)

So, here are two new experiments with the idea to mount several painted plexi plates behind each other. The key innovation for me here is to glue the plates together using acrylic spacers so that you get one solid piece. This works great for smaller formats - for larger formats I'd probably have to glue a reinforcement stripe on the outside - or just seal the whole package (which would also make sure it doesn't get any dirt or dust between the plates). I mixed regular brush work with the pointillism style I have used for my earlier plexi paintings.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Cool photo, this plexiglass thingy from above. Looks beautiful. Karin

5:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am not an artist, but was hoping to do something similar on a larger scale for a wall in my home. I was thinking of mounting some vinyl stickers (either of a photo I had taken or a pre-fab image) on plexi like shown here http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/guest-loft-space/index.html. The difference is, I would like to mount two pieces with images on each piece...I just have no idea how to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great work! What did you use to glue the spacers? Did you glue on top of the painted surface?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Leora said...

I love the colour composition in your work. I have been painting layered plexiglass over the past year but have not found the correct paint that adheres to plexiglass. Permanent markers work but no texture. I am trying acrylic paint mixed with water based lacquer. Do you have any suggestions for paint that sticks?
Thanks

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home